All of us here at White Orthodontics in Glen Allen, VA have heard the expression “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”. Taking this to heart can make our teeth stronger and brighter if we eat the right foods to support that healthy smile.
Even though Veneers, crowns, and fillings, along with professional whitening can make your teeth stronger and brighter, it’s best to avoid cavities and stains altogether with regular brushing, flossing, and just as important…eating the right foods.
Here is a list of 5 healthy braces-friendly foods recommended by your br
- Dairy Products – We all know milk and dairy products are our primary source of calcium, which builds strong tooth enamel and bones. Dairy products, contain casein, a type of protein found especially in cheese. Research reports that caseins, combined with calcium, contribute to stabilizing and repairing tooth enamel.
- Leafy Vegetables and High Fiber Foods- Eating a salad or dish of beans requires a lot of chewing and a great way to wash your teeth. Biting into an apple scrubs your teeth also. Chewing generates saliva and the food scrubs your teeth as you chew it into little pieces. It’s like a tooth cleaning dog treat.
- Strawberries for Whitening Teeth – Strawberries contain malic acid and are a natural whitening agent.
- Sugarless Gum – Glen Allen, VA orthodontist, Dr. White does not recommend chewing gum while wearing braces, but once removed, sugarless gum can help maintain your beautiful new smile!
- H2O (WATER) – Water helps wash away food, sugar and acid after you eat. In most areas it also contains fluoride, a mineral that protects against tooth erosion. Did you know that fluoride occurs naturally in water, including some natural spring water? Across the United States, most communities fortify their water with fluoride also.
Changing our eating habits to reflect a healthier lifestyle is not easy but it is very much worth the effort. Leave a comment or suggestion that you may have below. Also, feel free to contact our office to schedule an initial comprehensive consultation or if you have questions.
This information is not meant as medical advice. It is provided solely for education. Our orthodontic office in Glen Allen, VA would be pleased to discuss your unique circumstances and needs as they relate to these topics.
Meet White Orthodontics & Glen Allen, VA’s Award-Winning Orthodontist, Dr. Paul White
Richmond, VA’s favorite award-winning orthodontist, Dr. Paul White of White Orthodontics offers the most advanced braces for children, braces for teens and braces for adults, including metal braces, Invisalign, Invisalign Teen, SureSmile, braces behind your teeth, clear ceramic braces and even braces to help you achieve your confident smile 50% faster!
Call 804.747.7447 today for your free consultation for braces at our conveniently located orthodontics office in Glen Allen, Virginia(VA).
White Orthodontics In Glen Allen, VA
5237 Hickory Park Dr.
Glen Allen, VA 23059
Beyond Straight Teeth!