Having braces doesn’t mean you have to say good-bye to the foods you love. There are plenty of food choices available to you while wearing braces. With traditional metal braces, you definitely have to be more careful with the foods you eat, to ensure that brackets and bands don’t’ snap or break off. With alternative options to braces like Invisalign, you can enjoy foods you love without the concern of damaging your braces.
Can I Eat Candy & Gum With Braces?
Chewing gum is accepted by most dentists and orthodontists in Richmond, VA as a great cleaning agent. While the safest choice is to not chew gum while wearing braces, an occasional piece of sugar free gum is acceptable. But regular gum chewing can compromise the braces and placement of the teeth. Our Richmond orthodontist will have to work to realign your teeth and/or fix gum damage. You can eliminate the need for extra visits to our orthodontics office near Richmond, VA by avoiding excessive gum or candy consumption.
What Foods Should I Avoid While Wearing Braces?
By temporarily limiting certain foods, you can stay on track with your orthodontic treatment. Some foods can break your braces or cause things like infection or de-calcification, which can set you back in the treatment process with your braces.
Some Foods You Should Try To Avoid While Wearing Braces:
- Hard pretzels
- Hard taco shells
- Beef jerky
- Hard cookies or crackers
Well, What CAN I Eat With Braces?
When it comes to eating with metal braces, it’s mostly about food preparation. Food can be softened (through boiling and baking) and cut into bite-size pieces. Always separate meat from the bone, and opt for more tender cuts. The following list can help you develop meals to enjoy during your orthodontic treatment:
- Fruits: Fruit is still a great option, as long as you cut it into smaller pieces. Blueberries, melon and grapes are the easier to consume during your treatment with braces.
- Vegetables: Be sure to steam or boil, in order to soften the vegetables. This makes it easier to chew to avoid damaging your braces.
- Grains: Eliminate seeds, as they can stick to your braces. Rice and pasta can be enjoyed when cooked thoroughly to soften.
- Dairy: Most dairy products are fine while wearing braces, such as yogurt and milk. String cheese products are preferable over hard cheeses, because they peel easily.
- Proteins: When it comes to protein, you can choose safer options while wearing your braces such as fish, chicken, lean pork and tofu. Be sure to cook them thoroughly until they are tender, and eat smaller pieces. Almond and peanut butter are also safe alternatives during your orthodontic treatment.
Recipes for those with braces are available on the internet. There are lots of easy-to-make meals that work well with braces. You will never have to sacrifice a healthy diet while wearing braces. By making some simple changes, you can ensure that your braces provide the best results possible.
Meet White Orthodontics & Richmond, VA’s Award-Winning Orthodontist, Dr. Paul White
Richmond, VA’s favorite award-winning orthodontist, Dr. Paul White of White Orthodontics offers the most advanced braces for children, braces for teens and braces for adults, including metal braces, Invisalign, Invisalign Teen, SureSmile, braces behind your teeth, clear ceramic braces and even braces to help you achieve your confident smile 50% faster!
Call 804.747.7447 today for your free consultation for braces at our conveniently located orthodontics office near Richmond, Virginia (VA).
White Orthodontics Near Richmond, VA
5237 Hickory Park Dr.
Glen Allen, VA 23059
Beyond Straight Teeth!