Orthodontists and dentists believed that it was best to wait and put braces on kids in their early teens. However, doctors have found that children as young as seven may be candidates for early treatments over the years! Orthodontists and dentists today recommend early orthodontic evaluation for children by the age of seven. Our Richmond, VA, braces expert explains some benefits of evaluating your child’s dental health.
Addressing Developmental Problems
Early intervention with braces can correct teeth and jaw developmental problems before they get worse and cause damage. Braces may be a good option if your child has the following symptoms:
- Underbite, overbite, or crossbite
- Difficulty chewing, speaking, or eating
- Protruding teeth (teeth that jut out)
- Jaws and teeth are out of proportion with the rest of the face
- Mouth breathing
- Crowded, widely spaced, or extra teeth
It’s easier to adjust the jaws, teeth, and facial structure in children. The sooner your child gets treatment, the higher the chances of improving their facial growth and orthodontic health.
Allows Teeth to Grow Properly
Early treatments at the age of six or seven can alleviate tooth crowding. The jaw is expanded to make room for new permanent teeth to erupt. Early care can also improve facial symmetry, correct crooked bites, and move the teeth into a proper bite position. Other benefits include:
- Reduced risk of chipping teeth – if your child has protruding teeth, it is easier to damage, chip, and even break them.
- Improved speech – if the teeth overlap the bottom teeth too much, it impedes tongue movement and speech. Correcting the bite will also help resolve speech problems.
If you decide to bring your child in for early evaluation, know that it’s likely our doctor will tell you that your child’s treatment can wait! However, if our doctor determines that early intervention would help them, another benefit is that it will reduce the time for phase 2 treatment and reduce the need for tooth removal at a later stage. Contact our friendly provider today to learn more about early treatment options!
Call Our Office For Richmond, VA, Braces Today!
The information provided in this article is not meant to be medical advice and is for educational purposes only. If you would like to learn more about this and other topics related to orthodontics, feel free to contact White Orthodontics, with a convenient orthodontic office for braces or Invisalign in Richmond, VA, by clicking here or by calling 804.715.1998.